The Blue Yeti uses a mini USB cable to connect to a computer or laptop. It also receives power from this interface, so what does that mean if you want to connect it directly to your phone, iPad, or even DSLR camera. Is it possible? Will the iPhone provide enough power to the Blue Yeti? What about battery drain?
Let's get into it...
What Cable Does The Blue Yeti Use?
The Blue Yeti uses a USB (Type A) to Mini-USB wire. These are a very common wire, typically used by digital cameras, older external hard drives, and pretty much every small electronic device out there before a certain time period. After which, all of these devices started using USB (Type A) to Micro-USB.
You probably have several of both of these short wires hanging around the house!
Difference Between A Micro USB and A Mini USB
Do not get the two confused, as you may end up wasting time and money. People often misname these two, which causes confusion. The micro USB is smaller, as pictured below. The mini USB cable is larger (thicker)
What Cable Does The Blue Yeti Use To Connect To An Iphone/Ipad?
The Blue Yeti uses a USB (Type A) to the lightning adaptor to connect to both the iPhone and iPad.
The good thing is that typically, the iPhone or iPad will provide enough power to power the microphone, which is actually quite remarkable when you think about it. From phantom power to phone charging port power?
However, some people have mentioned the Mini-USB to lightning not working at all, so it is best to stick with using the original cable with the adaptor shown above.
A common issue with connecting the Blue Yeti to the iPhone and iPad is that when your phone begins to run low on power, you cannot continue to record as of course, you would need to plug the microphone out to charge it.
This can be very inconvenient, so I recommend getting one of the adapters below instead. This adaptor allows you to both charge your phone and power the Blue Yeti, so you do not need to worry about loss of power.
Lightning to SD Card Reader for iPhone,USB Camera Adapter 4 in 1 USB Female OTG Adapter Compatible SD/TF Card, Memory Card Reader Portable USB 3.0 Adapter,Sd Card Adapter with Fast Charging Port
- Plug and Play: Plug and play, no WIFI, network or drivers required, super easy to use. Unlike other sd card adapters, our upgraded iphone sd card reader has a charging port for iphone/ipad. Charging and reading can be carried out at the same time, so you no longer have to worry about the phone running out of power during the transfer process. It also allows you to share battery power with friends to solve your friend's pressing needs.
- Two-way transfer: from SD card to iPhone or iPhone to SD memory card, The SD card reader for iPhone is compatible with SD, SDHC, SDXC, MicroSD, MicroSDXC and MicroSDHC memory cards. Allow you to copy files to your iPhone more easily.
- Wide Compatibility: Tablet-to-USB adapter supports standard photo formats, including JPER and RAW, as well as SD, HD video formats, and supports all iOS 9.2 and later iPhones and iOS 8.0 or later iPads. The micro sd card reader supports up to 512GB memory cards and 256GB USB flash drives.
- 4-in-1 Assistant: The upgraded iPhone SD card reader has an SD card slot Micro SD card slot/USB port and a lᎥghtnᎥng charging port, suitable for iphone and ipad, charging and reading can be done at the same time.
- What you get：1*Lightning to 4 in 1 Camera Connection Kit（SD card and Tf Card not included）and high standards of customer service.
SUNTRSI USB Camera Adapter, USB Female OTG Adapter for iPhone iPad, Portable USB Adapter for iPhone with Charging Port, No Application, Plug and Play
- Plug and Play: The usb adapter for ipad does not require an application, and there is no need to remove the camera's memory card.Using a usb to iPhone adapter, you can copy beautiful scenery and cute people photos and videos to iPhone and iPad.This is an excellent choice for copying photos or videos from the camera in a short time.
- Strong Compatibility: The iPhone to usb adapter supports standard photo formats,including JPER and RAW,and SD,HD video formats,including H.264 and MPEG-4. Support all iPhone with iOS 9.2 and up and iPads with iOS 8.0 or later.
- Charge Your iPhone and iPad: This usb adapter for iphone adds a charging port for iphone/ipad, charging,view photos or videos can be operated at the same time.Don't worry about the power shortage of your phone anymore.More importantly, this usb to iPhone adapter can also allow you to share battery power with your friends and solve your friends' urgent needs.
- Friendly Office Helper: Light and durable, short cable, better performance.With usb camera adapter, you can directly plug the PC keyboard or mouse into the iPad，improving your typing speed and productivity.
- Do The Best: Using the usb camera Adapter,Will bring you more interesting moments,Using the iphone to usb adapter, Will bring you more convenience.
Likewise, if you are on the go, you can plug your powerbank in, in the same fashion, providing power to both the Blue Yeti and your phone.
What Cable Does The Blue Yeti Use To Connect To A Samsung Galaxy?
Similar to the issue above, the Blue Yeti requires a USB (Type A) adapter to connect to a Samsung Galaxy. Specifically, a USB (Type A) to USB-C (pictured below).
If you have a Macbook which also uses lightning ports, you are in luck as this is the same connection and adapter used to connect to your laptop.
These are very inexpensive, but again, if you are using your phone on the go, you might want to grab a multimedia adapter instead, which will allow you to connect your powerbank or charger to it.
Qidoou USB C to HDMI Adapter, USB Type C Adapter Multiport AV Converter with 4K HDMI Output, USB 3.0 Port and USB-C Charging Port Compatible Chromebook/MacBook/iMac/Samsung/Projector/Monitor (Silver)
- 【3-in-1 USB C to HDMI Adapter】Compact design usbc to HDMI / USB-C/ USB 3.0 Multiport Adapter with small size, easy to carry around in pocket. Convenient for home-theater entertainment, office, presentation, exhibition, teaching etc. Lightweight, plug and play, no extra driver is needed, to avoid the trouble of carring too much converter devices for activities.
- 【Ultra HD USB-C to HDMI 4k】 High quality usb c multiport adapter supports the video and meeting resolution up to 4K(4096X2160P/30HZ) and compatible with most HDTV, monitors, projectors and other devices with HDMI port, offering vivid, clear, no shaking video and picture. A good choice to watch Netflix and play games like Nintendo by converting phones and laptop to big monitor like TV.
- 【Fast converting and Charging】 The hdmi to usb c 3.1 hub supports high speed data transfer up to 5Gbps (5120Mbps),10x faster than USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). It works with U disk, hard drive disk, mouse, keyboard and other USB devices. USB charging port offers fast and convenient phone/laptop charges at the same time. Aluminum alloy exterior is helpful for heat insulation, reinforced TPE cable coating is good to prevent interfere with wireless devices.
- 【Broad Compatibility 】The type c to hdmi adapter works well with USB-C 3.1 port (compatible thunderbolt 3 to hdmi) devices. 2016/2017 MacBook, 2016 MacBook Pro, 2017 MacBook pro with Touch Bar, Dell XPS13/15, Dell Precision5510, HP Spectre X2, HP Spectre X360, HP Elitebook Folio G1, HP Elite X2 1012 G1, Acer Spin7, Acer Chromebook R13, Google Chromebook Pixel, Lenovo 900/910, HuaWei MateBook or Other Type C PC. Also monitor & projector with HDMI port. Satisfing all stay at home entertainment.
- 【Perfect Transmission】 When families union & friends parties, hook the usb c to usb adapter up with your phone/ laptop and TV, to shop online, watch Netflix, Hulu, videos, and also to play Nintendo games with friends! It can be a good replacement converter for cooling gamer, durable and handy. No risk, We offer FREE REPLACEMENT and also negotiable solutions for our HDMI TO USB C ADAPTER.
EZQuest USB-C Multimedia Hub Adapter 8 Ports (HDMI 4K 30Hz, 100W USB-C PD 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 3X USB 3.0, SD & Micro SD) for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, XPS and More
- Operate HDMI 4K external display to create extended or mirror mode with digital sound and HDCP
- Power Input: One USB-C 100W Power Delivery port version 3.0 with pass-thru charging up to 85W output and FRS technology or 5Gbs data
- Power Output: The USB-A port with BC1.2 outputs 5V/1.5A (7.5W), other USB-A ports each 5V/0.9A (4.5W). When using all the ports simultaneously to charge or power your devices, the total shared power is 10 watts
- Data: Three 5Gbs USB-A 3.0 ports. When using all ports simultaneously, the total shared data is 5Gbs
- High speed Gigabit Ethernet network connection with LED indicator
- Simultaneously read and write SDHC or Micro SDHC card reader
- Compatibility: All computers with USB-C/Thunderbolt 4/3 ports, as well as USB-C smart phones and tablets with OTG support
- USB-A ports will not support Apple SuperDrive (we recommend using our X40100 USB-C to USB-A Female Mini Adapter to connect your SuperDrive directly to your Mac)