A Music Producer Agreement is a legal document that outlines the working relationship between a music producer and the musicians they are producing.
This document can be used when the producer is providing creative or technical services to the musicians, or when they are acting as an agent or manager for the musicians. It can also be used to protect both parties in the event of a dispute.
When Should You Use a Music Producer Agreement?
The simple answer is: whenever you are working with a producer on your music. Likewise, if you are a music producer, you should have a Music Producer Agreement in place whenever you are working with a musician.
Why? Because this agreement will protect your rights as an artist or producer and ensure that you are both clear on what is expected of each other. It is important to have this agreement in place before any work begins, so that there are no misunderstandings later on.
Many different aspects can be covered in a music producer agreement. For example, you will need to agree on:
- who will own the rights to the finished product
- how long the producer will have to work on the project
- what their fee will be
- when and how they will be paid
What Should Be Included in a Music Producer Agreement?
Every Music Producer Agreement is different, as it should be customized to fit the specific situation. However, there are some key elements that should always be included:
- The name and contact information of both the artist and producer
- A description of the project
- The roles of each party involved in the project
- The timeline for the project
- Payment terms
- Signatures from both parties indicating that they agree to the terms of the Music Producer Agreement
With that in mind, here is a customizable Music Producer Agreement template that you can use for your next project:
Music Producer Agreement Template
This Music Producer Agreement (“Agreement”) is between _________________________ (“Artist”), a _________________, and ____________________________ (“Producer”), a _________________.
The parties agree as follows:
1. Artist will provide Producer with the necessary creative or technical services in order to produce the musical work entitled ___________________________ (“Project”).
2. Producer agrees to use their best efforts to complete the Project in a timely and professional manner.
3. The rights to the finished product shall belong to Artist, unless otherwise agreed upon in writing. Producer shall have no ownership interest in the Project or any materials related thereto.
4. Producer shall be compensated at a rate of _____ per hour, or at a negotiated fee, for their services. All expenses incurred by Producer in connection with the Project shall be reimbursed by Artist.
5. Payment for services rendered under this Agreement shall be made within ____ days of receipt of an invoice from Producer.
6. This Agreement shall be effective on the date signed by both parties and shall terminate on ______________, unless terminated earlier by written agreement of both parties.
7. This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties and supersedes any prior agreements between them relating to the subject matter herein.
8. Any dispute arising out of this Agreement shall be resolved by arbitration in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof.
Music Producer Agreement FAQs: Other Things To Consider
Some other important things to consider when entering into a Music Producer Agreement include:
Intellectual Property Rights:
Be clear about who will own the rights to the finished product. Will it be the artist, the producer, or both?
How and when will the producer be paid?
Will they receive an hourly rate, a flat fee, or royalties?
How long does the producer have to complete the project?
What are the deadlines?
What happens if the artist decides to cancel the project before it’s completed?
Who is entitled to any money that has already been paid?
You might also find these Songwriter Agreement Templates useful, if you plan on working with singers and having them feature on your beats.