You should sign a band contract with your fellow bandmates as soon as you form a band together, regardless of how long you have known each other.
A well-drafted contract will cover important matters such as tax and legal responsibilities, income and job distribution, insurance, equipment ownership, and voting rights within the group.
In addition, having a contract in place will help resolve any difficult situations or disputes that may arise (e.g., concerning the name of the band, withdrawal of members from the group, or splitting up of the band altogether).
- Between: two or more band members
- Duration: based on mutual agreement
Downloadable Band Contract Template (Agreement Terms)
The purpose of this band contract (the “Agreement”) is to regulate the relationship between the members of the band (“the Band”).
1. The Band will be a democratic entity, with all decisions made by majority vote. In the event of a tie, the decision shall be made by the bandleader.
2. The Band will maintain a bank account in which all income generated by the Band will be deposited. This account will be jointly held and managed by all members of the Band.
3. Expenses incurred by the Band in the course of its activities (e.g. rehearsal space, equipment rental, transportation, etc.) will be shared equally among all members of the Band.
4. The name of the Band is hereby declared to be a joint property of all members of the Band. No member shall have exclusive rights to use the name of the Band without prior written consent from all other members.
5. In case of a dispute between any two or more members of the Band, said dispute shall be resolved by arbitration in accordance with Ontario law. The decision reached by arbitration shall be final and binding on all parties involved.
6. Any member of the Band may terminate his/her membership at any time for any reason, provided that he/she gives written notice to all other members of the Band at least fourteen days prior to termination.
7. In case of termination of membership for any reason, all assets, and liabilities of the Band shall become the responsibility of the remaining members of the Band.
8. This Agreement shall become effective upon the date of its execution by all members of the Band and may be terminated by mutual agreement of all members.
This Agreement represents the entire understanding between the parties with respect to the subject matter and supersedes all prior agreements and understandings between them. This Agreement may be modified only by a written signature by all parties.
(Band member 1)
(Band member 2)
(Band member 3)