Smoking is bad for your health, we all know that. But what about your singing voice? Can singers smoke and still maintain their vocal quality? In this article, we will explore the impact of cigarettes on your vocals. We will also discuss some tips for quitting smoking if you are a singer.
- What Is the Impact of Smoking on Singers?
- How Does Smoking Affect Vocal Quality?
- Tips for Quitting Smoking if You Are a Singer
- Can Smokers Maintain Their Vocal Quality While Quitting Cigarettes
- Quitting Smoking as A Singer – the Benefits
- Are There Any Downsides To Quitting Smoking For Singers?
- Resources for Quitting Smoking as A Singer
What Is the Impact of Smoking on Singers?
Smoking can have a negative impact on singers because it dries out their vocal cords, causing them to become irritated, and inflamed, making them more susceptible to infection.
Smoking also causes the voice box to produce a less powerful sound and can eventually lead to permanent damage to the vocal cords. Moreover, smoking has been linked with an increased risk of throat and lung cancer, both of which can be fatal for singers.
In addition to damaging the vocal cords, smoking also has other negative effects on the body, such as increasing the risk for heart disease and cancer.
So smokers not only run the risk of harming their vocal cords but also their health overall.
How Does Smoking Affect Vocal Quality?
As mentioned above, drying out the vocal cords and causing them to swell up creates hoarseness in the voice.
This is because the vocal cords are unable to vibrate as efficiently when they are dry and swollen.
The end result is a raspy or croaky voice which, for most singers, will have a negative effect on their ability and performance.
Tips for Quitting Smoking if You Are a Singer
If you want to pursue a career as a singer and have come to the realization that smoking is harming your chances at success, then it is time to quit smoking.
Here are some tips for quitting smoking:
- Make a plan and set a date for quitting smoking
- Tell your friends and family about your plan so that they can support you
- Nicotine replacement therapy can help reduce cravings for cigarettes
- Drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid triggers that make you want to smoke
- Find a support group or counselor to help you through the process of quitting smoking
Quitting smoking is not easy, but it is definitely possible; especially when your livelihood depends on it.
Can Smokers Maintain Their Vocal Quality While Quitting Cigarettes
It is possible to maintain vocal quality while quitting cigarettes, but it takes time and effort.
The main thing smokers need to do when quitting cigarettes is to avoid putting any kind of stress on their voice. This means avoiding yelling, screaming, or talking for long periods of time. It also means drinking lots of water and keeping the throat hydrated.
Smokers can also help preserve their vocal quality by using a humidifier in the winter months, and by avoiding any cold or dry air. And finally, smokers should try to relax as much as possible and get plenty of sleep.
Quitting Smoking as A Singer – the Benefits
There are countless benefits to quitting smoking as a singer, but here are just a few:
- Quitting smoking will help you to breathe more easily and control your voice better. This is because smoking narrows the airways in your lungs, leading to difficulty breathing and making it harder to produce sound.
- Quitting smoking will also help to keep your vocal cords healthy. Smoking can cause irritation and inflammation of the vocal cords, leading to hoarseness or even permanent damage.
- Quitting smoking will help you to stay healthy overall, which is important for singers who often perform while ill. Smoke inhalation can aggravate respiratory illnesses and make them harder to recover from.
- Finally, quitting smoking will improve your sense of smell and taste, both of which are important for singers.
Are There Any Downsides To Quitting Smoking For Singers?
This answer may surprise you, but yes – there are possible downsides. If you have been smoking for many years and you have developed your own sound, for example, a raspy or gravelly voice, then quitting smoking may cause your voice to change and become more smooth.
You may also find that you are not able to sing as high or as low as you could before.
However, these changes are usually only temporary, and with time and practice, you will be able to adjust your singing style accordingly.
However, it is important to mention this, as you may have built up an identity around your voice and sound which has been made unique by the very habit you now wish to change.
Despite this, your overall health will benefit greatly from quitting smoking, and your vocal quality will improve in the long run.
Resources for Quitting Smoking as A Singer
There are many resources to help you quit smoking as a singer. Here are just a few:
- Tobacco Free Life
- The American Lung Association offers many resources for quitting smoking
- Smokefree.gov also offers helpful resources and advice.
Your doctor can offer you tips and support and you may also find that these help to clear your lungs as your body begins to heal or go into withdrawal.
Do Famous Singers Smoke?
Yes, some famous singers do smoke cigarettes. However, it is important to note that smoking is generally not considered good for singers.
Some singers who smoke or have smoked are:
– Bruno Mars
– Zayn Malik
– Chris Brown
– Selena Gomez
– Cheryl Cole
– Katy Perry
– Lana Del Ray
Can You Be a Good Singer if You Smoke?
You can still be a good singer if you smoke, but it will damage your vocal cords over time. The more you smoke, the greater the damage will be.
Can Smoking Ruin Your Singing Voice?
The short answer is, yes, smoking can ruin your singing voice. The long answer is a bit more complicated.
While it is true that smoking can cause many health problems, including those that affect the vocal cords, not all smokers will experience these problems. In fact, some smokers may find that their voices are actually enhanced by smoking.
Why Would a Singer Smoke?
Some singers smoke for the same reasons that some non-singers smoke – it is an addiction and habit that is hard to break.
For singers, smoking can also be a way to calm down and focus before a performance and, if they have gotten used to the practice of smoking right before a performance, it becomes a very difficult habit to break as it is linked to a cue.
Does Ed Sheeran Smoke?
Ed Sheeran chain-smoked for most of his adult life but has announced his attempts to kick the habit or at least cut back and lead a healthier life. The singer has since been seen smoking on nights out with friends so it is unclear whether he is an active smoker currently or not.