Music is among those great art forms that is simply difficult to sell without marketing. It takes all the skills of a musician, marketer, manager, promoter, salesman, and accountant to sell a debut album.
However, social media has opened new doors for musicians, helping them reach audiences that they might never have found before. But, marketing a music career on social media requires more than the occasional post. It requires a great strategy, creative ideas, and time!
In this post, we have come up with some very creative marketing strategies that you could try out. At the very least, they should get your creative juices flowing!
By the way, we have a brilliant resource on social media marketing for musicians; you should check it out and download our free cheat sheet!
- Use Facebook Live to give fans a behind-the-scenes look at your creative process.
- Go on a Twitter follow spree and interact with other users in your genre.
- Create a Spotify playlist featuring your music and other artists you admire.
- Shoot a series of Instagram Stories giving fans a glimpse into your day-to-day life as a musician.
- Host a Reddit AMA and answer questions about your music, inspirations, and more.
- Collaborate with other musicians on an original song or cover and promote it across both of your social media channels.
- Make use of Snapchat filters to create fun content that shows off your personality.
- Write thoughtful blog posts about topics related to your music and share them on social media.
- Utilize Facebook Ads to target potential listeners in your desired demographic.
- Use hashtags strategically on Instagram and Twitter to reach new audiences.
- Run contests and giveaways on social media to engage with your fans and grow your following.
- Share behind-the-scenes photos and videos from live shows on Instagram and Snapchat.
- Get involved in Twitter chats related to the music industry and share your insights with others.
- Shoot a professional music video and promote it across all of your social media channels.
- Partner with another brand or artist for a cross-promotional campaign on social media.
- Participate in or host local events and meetups related to the music industry.
- Give talks or workshops at colleges or universities about starting a career in music.
- Speak candidly about the challenges of being a musician in interviews or blog posts.
- Collaborate with other artists on unique merch designs that represent both of your brands.
- Leverage Pinterest to share visuals (e.g., album covers, lyrics, performance photos) that represent your music.
- Make use of Instagram’s “Shop Now” feature to direct fans towards purchasing your merch.
- Use location tags when posting content related to specific cities or venues.
- Share user-generated content (e.g., concert photos, fan art) across your social media channels.
- Host listening parties for new albums or singles on social media.
- Collaborate with fellow musicians on joint projects (e mixtapes, compilations).
- Use Canva or another design tool to create eye-catching visuals for social media.
- Reach out to bloggers or influencers in the music industry for potential partnerships.
- Create playlists featuring your favorite up-and-coming artists across all streaming platforms.
- Stay active in relevant Facebook Groups and participate in discussions.
- Use TwineSocial or another tool to create an interactive “What’s Your Sound?” quiz for visitors to your website.
Now lets look at some actionable tips for each one of these. I can't just leave you with concepts, now can I?
1. Use Facebook Live to give fans a behind-the-scenes look at your creative process.
This is a great way to give your fans a look into how you make your music and the creative process that goes into it. You can use Facebook Live to show them everything from songwriting to studio sessions to rehearsals. This will give them a deeper understanding and appreciation for your work.
2. Go on a Twitter follow spree and interact with other users in your genre.
You can do this by following users who are active in your genre and engaging with their tweets. This is a great way to build relationships with other members of the music community and get your name out there by “showing up”.
3. Create a Spotify playlist featuring your music and other artists you admire.
The trick here is to make a dope playlist with similar music and intertwine it with your own. This works well because it primes the listener to enjoy your tracks while they're in the right mood.
4. Shoot a series of Instagram Stories giving fans a glimpse into your day-to-day life as a musician.
Show off your personality and connect with your fans on a more personal level. Share anything from your day-to-day routine to your thoughts on the music industry. This is how you build a connection with your fans and give them a sense of familiarity.
5. Host a Reddit AMA and answer questions about your music, inspirations, and more.
AMA stands for “Ask Me Anything,” and it’s a used to connect with your fans and give them a behind-the-scenes look at your music as well as personal liife and hobbies.
To host a successful AMA, start by promoting it in advance on your social media channels and email list.
Then, make sure to be responsive and engaging when answering questions during the session.
On Reddit, include the tag “AMA” in the title. Then, be sure to answer any questions that come in, even if they're not music-related.
6. Collaborate with other musicians on an original song or cover and promote it across both of your social media channels.
Collabs are the lifeblood of the music industry. They help you cross-pollinate your fanbases and grow both of your brands.
Pick someone who compliments your style and has a similar fan base. This will help you reach new listeners while still providing value to your existing fans.
7. Make use of Snapchat filters to create fun content that shows off your personality.
If you already use Snapchat for your social media marketing strategy, then you know how fun and engaging the filters can be.
But if you're not using them already, now is the time to start.
Snapchat filters let you show off your personality and connect with your fans on a more personal level.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to marketing your music career online – the only limit is your imagination! With so many options available, it can be difficult to know where to start… Hopefully you have shortlisted a handful from this post – but don't just shortlist them; get cracking!